Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Top Ten Reasons Books are Better than Movies

Thinking about this the other day and wondered if anyone else might feel the way I do. So- *cue drumroll*-

1. A good book costs between $6-$10 and can be read repeatedly. A movie sucks $10 for a ticket, $20 for popcorn/soda, and only lasts 1.5-3 hrs.

2. Books can be resold, traded, or loaned far longer than DVD or blu-ray or video (anyone still own a VCR?)

3. Icky scenes in a book are only subject to the creativity of MY imagination. Icky movie scenes make me watch someone else's twisted take on fantasy. And some things you just can't UNsee.

4. The pause feature of a book does not require me to learn fifty buttons on my stupid DVR remote which still seems to skip directly to the middle of a commercial when I try to rewind to catch missed dialog.

5. In a book, a character's accent does not mean I don't SEE what they are saying. In a movie, even the sexiest accent can leave me wondering if he really just called her booty call instead of beautiful.

6. When reading, I can get up and take my book into another room to avoid annoying noises. While watching a movie I am subject to everybody's commentary.

7. It is really simple to read the last chapter of a book just to make sure there's a HEA.

8. Thanks to ebook pubs, books offer a wider variety of material to read. With movies, Hollywood seems determined to be green- reuse/recycle.

9. While reading, I am free to imagine characters with any number of facial features or body types I find attractive. While watching a movie I am forced to see Tom Cruise age before my very eyes while playing the same role over and over again.

10. Book sequels related to each other and penned by the same author are called a series. Movie sequels are usually a cheap attempt to squeeze just a few more dollars out of the first film's few fans. "I know what you did last summer, and fall, and the spring before that, and that time during summer camp, and maybe once during Christmas break..."

1 comment:

  1. Excellent list! Another interesting point from a similar list states that books don't require batteries ha ha.

    Just out of curiosity, what does "HEA" stand for?

    ReplyDelete